Sunday, August 31, 2014

*Sigh* Death of Wolverine and why I need to take a break from Marvel Comics

Marvel's obnoxious price points aside, it is clear that the comic arm is finally pushing me out.

Logan was my favorite character at Marvel for almost 20 years. He was my gateway into the comics realm and I loved him. When Origins hit in 2001 all that changed. To say I was not a fan of Paul Jenkins story is an understatement. Then came Daniel Way's awful spin off series and crap concepts like Daken and X-23.

I have wanted to read Wolverine on a regular basis since those two series and concepts ruined the mysteries and awesomeness of Logan (He will never be James Howlett to me), but outside of Jason Aaron's initial arc which saw my other favorite mutant (ex) David North on the dark side of things,  nada. The previews told me everything.

And now Marvel is killing off Logan because they wrote themselves into a corner with the aforementioned titles and concepts. They can claim reader burnout (and I am sure this is a part), but I knew when they began using the loss of the healing factor (at the same time The Wolverine did), well I knew what was coming. Marvel claim they have no exit strategy for bringing Logan back, which means it will take a few years and some brain-storming to resurrect Wolverine.

Frankly, the new Marvel with its ridiculously forced PC panderings*, overpriced and uninspired characterizations and concepts remind me who is really in charge.

This is not the Marvel that tried everything and anything any more. This a company clearing running out of ideas, eager to make money through stunts, weak events and letting once great characters wither.  With Logan's death, I feel my enthusiasm for Marvel comics dying too. Getting my fix from some of the films is just fine.

Rest in Peace Logan, your last decade was unworthy for you, but I will always remember how great you were before.

*If you're going to make Thor a title and give it a woman, Sif or Valkyrie should have it. Hell, what was the point of Angela being his sister if not to do this...

And if we were guaranteed that Falcon became Cap permanently,  I'd be fine with that. Like Wolverine's death,  Falcon's temporary boost is most likely just a stunt until Captain America 3 will be released. Sam will be in good hands thanks to Al Ewing, but Rick Remender just wrote one of the worst Captain America runs ever and now poor Sam is about to go under his pen as well.

Cynical. Yeah, I am, but Marvel and DC helped make me that way. Deaths do not stick, nor demotions or promotions. Stupid events reign on high and the PC pandering over the past year is very disappointing. It all feels forced.

There is no reason to kill off Wolverine or placing Bucky in space.  I think I'll stick to a select few Marvel movies and just leave my love of certain characters there.

For comics, thank Danu there's more Slaine next year.  < Please don't follow the American big two concepts Mr. Mills, I'd love to see Slaine be an old Barbarian still defending his goddess and realm. >

>>> Note to self, stop typing on an iPad.

No comments: