Saturday, August 30, 2014

Viggo as Satan a wickedly wonderful Perf

While talking on a board about Angel Heart and De Niro's excellent take on the Devil - how this was my second favorite human Satan, another poster brought up Viggo Mortensen in the Prophecy. I agreed with said poster as it's probably still my favorite Mortensen perf (along with Nikolai from Eastern Promises and Aragorn from well you know...)

I still love Viggo in the Prophecy. It was the first performance of his I saw (and theatrically to boot!) I remember thinking "Wow! The guy who played the devil stole the movie from Christopher Walken."

And lo and behold, channel surfing a few minutes after I agreed about Mortensen, the Prophecy was on the tube.  I watched and fell in dark love with Viggo's devil all over again.

I am disappointed Viggo will not be Stephen Strange, but I'd love to see him play a wizard as he has the warriors down pat. Here's hoping. Mortensen is a terrific actor and one who always challenges himself and the audience. I look forward to what he does next and secretly pine for another genre role eventually.


No comments: